Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Coming Soon in "Making Art"!

I want to devote plenty of time to Phase One in my online painting course, "Making Art...", because there are so many ways to unclog those nasty solar-plexion blocks, simply with painting alone! My first lesson was in using Watercolors, Dyes, and Pastels, and I have some ideas for further Phase One practice:

Patricia Baldwin Seggebruchand so it begins2011encaustic8x8
encaustic on encausticbord with oil and panpastel
Encaustic
After reading "Encaustic Workshop" by Patricia Baldwin Seggebruch, found at Sam Flax in Orlando, I can't sleep at night from planning all my encaustic endeavors. Or, planning the ability to not plan, to stay true to the intent of my course.

Some of Ms. Seggebruch's work is so grimy and visceral that I don't even feel the need to touch the highly textured surface, because she makes it so real that I feel I already have done so; sometime, somewhere, in the past that I try to forget, clinging to the memories that I'm so thankful to still be able to recall.

I haven't been able to build up such a loaded surface with the materials I've worked with so far....though I've been trying!

I was always scared of the messiness or toxicity of encaustic, but after reading Ms. Seggebruch's manual...well, she is just so inviting! Read it yourself, and you'll see what I mean!

Carla Poindexter,

Gone Without You, acrylic on canvas, 9" x 9"

Collage
Though my early mentor, Carla Poindexter, might not be happy about my linking her to collage now, it was truly one of the most important beginning painting tools that I learned from her. Collage is perfect for creative blocks, with which Phase One attempts to help.

I'm still very unsure of where to proceed with collage instruction in the series, but when I look at Ms. Poindexter's early work (the work that I first knew her for), I recognize my roots.

I'll trace it back, somehow...

Wood
I'm also planning to write a segment on beginning with wood panels of varying quality, starting with creative staining, acrylics and charcoal. I have a few beginning pieces, but this one is still up in the air...

The following are wood pieces at the end of Phase One:





 Help and collaboration are always appreciated, so please comment where comment is due.